A Professional Permit is granted to foreigners who wish to work in Mauritius, in a company incorporated in Mauritius for up to 3 years. Once your application is approved, you will be granted an Occupation Permit, which allows you to work and reside in Mauritius.
A minimum of 2 months.
Applicants will be asked to arrive in Mauritius on a Business Visa, during which their application for their Professional Permit will be under review for approval. Applicants can obtain a Business Visa for a maximum period of 60 days upon his/her arrival. During processing, the applicant cannot work. The application will only be considered if the applicant arrived on Business Visa.
There are 2 different types of Professional Permits:
- Long-term: duration covering a period of over 2 years, without exceeding 3 years. The Professional Permit is valid for a maximum of 3 years, after which it can be renewed for another maximum period of 3 years. This permit can also be granted for a maximum period of 2 years based on the employer’s requirements.
- Short Term: duration between 3 and 9 months. A Professional Permit can be issued for a short-term period, allowing a foreign professional to work and live in Mauritius for a maximum duration of 9 months. This permit can only be renewed once, for another maximum period of 3 months.
Please note that the application is processed by the local authorities i.e the Economic Development Board (EDB) and the Passport and Immigration Office (PIO), in conjunction with the Prime Minister’s Office (PMO). It is in their sole discretion to approve or reject the Professional Permit. (Occupation Permit).
This permit is specific to the applicant only. Any dependent (spouse or unmarried child) will have to apply for a separate Dependent Permit.
To be eligible for a Professional Permit, you must meet the following requirements
- You must hold a contract of employment with a company incorporated in Mauritius in accordance with the Companies Act 2001. Please note that you can also be the shareholder of the company that you will be working for.
- You must earn a basic monthly salary of at least Rs 60,000 (€ 1,500) or at least Rs 30,000 ($750) if you are employed in the Information and Communications Technology (ICT) sector.
- You must produce proof of your academic and professional qualifications in accordance with the position you are being recruited for.
- You must produce original copies of all your documents.
- You cannot be suffering from a communicable disease that presents a threat to the general public, and must satisfy the health requirements before a visa is granted. You must undergo a medical examination in Mauritius, by an approved local medical examination center.
- If you have any criminal records, your application will not be considered.
* It is mandatory for you to have a valid return ticket.
*All foreign travelers entering Mauritius are required to possess a passport valid for at least 6 months following your departure date from Mauritius. We strongly recommend that you have unused visa pages, allowing for necessary stamps upon arrival and departure. We also urge you to check if you require a separate transit visa for any connections on your way to Mauritius.
The fee for a Professional Permit is €850 ($990), and does not include the mandatory government-imposed fees for the issuance of the permit which are usually borne by your future employer.
The Government fees are as follows:
- 3 to 6 months: €250 ($270) per applicant
- 2 years: €375 ($405) per applicant
- 3 years: €500 ($535) per applicant
Immigration Expert support : Applicants can opt to have their applications analysed by an immigration expert at a fee of €120 ($130) (per hour).
This time-saving step ensures that your application is complete and contains all the necessary information.
For any Dependents please refer to the Dependent Permit Section