A Self-Employed Permit is granted to all individuals who wish to operate as a one-person business and who intend to work exclusively on their own account. VisaMauritius guides and assists applicants with setting up their business thanks to a network of local privileged partners.
Once your application is approved, you will be granted an Occupation Permit, which allows you to work and reside in Mauritius for a period of 3 years.
Applicants who request expert guidance or support from VisaMauritius shall receive a quotation after review of their application.
This permit is specific to the applicant only. Any dependent (spouse, parent or child) will have to apply for a separate Dependent Permit.
To be eligible for a Self-Employed Permit, you must meet the following requirements
- You will be asked to arrive in Mauritius on a Business Visa valid for 90 days.
- You must make a first initial investment of €32,000 ($35,000) in bank account set up in Mauritius.
- Your business activity must generated an annual turnover exceeding €15,000 ($16,000) during the course of the first 2 years, and €30,000 ($33,000) from the third year onwards.
- If you are a self-employed expatriate operating as a one-person company, your business must be registered with the Registrar of Companies.
- A Post Office Box (PO-Box) address is not acceptable as a residential or business address.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you obtain all relevant permits and licenses with the local authorities.
- The self-employed has to ensure that before he starts his business activity, the requisite permits and licenses are obtained with the Mauritius authorities and he has a duty to comply with conditions of regulated activities in Mauritius.
* It is mandatory for you to have a valid return ticket.
*All foreign travelers entering Mauritius are required to possess a passport valid for at least 6 months following your departure date from Mauritius. We strongly recommend that you have unused visa pages, allowing for necessary stamps upon arrival and departure. We also urge you to check if you require a separate transit visa for any connections on your way to Mauritius.
*The approval of your application is in the discretion of the Economic Development Board of Mauritius. Not all business activities can qualify for this type of permit.
The fee for a Self-Employed Permit is €1,500 ($1650), and does not include the mandatory government-imposed fees for the issuance of the permit:
- For a period of up to 3 years: €500 ($535) per applicant
- Permit renewal: €125 ($135)
Candidates can opt to have their applications analysed by an immigration expert at a fee of €120 ($130). This time-saving step ensures that your application is complete and contains all the necessary information.